A mother’s love for her children knows no age limits. And parents of all ages want more than anything to protect their children from problems, which sometimes can mean masking their own concerns. On top of that, when family members live at a distance, it can be difficult to really know for sure just how healthy elderly parents are.
One of the top concerns of aging is the decline in meeting nutritional needs. If you think your older loved ones might not be getting the nutrients they need to stay healthy and well, this quick assessment can help identify potential red flags:
- Has the older person mentioned a loss of appetite, issues with digestion, or chewing or swallowing challenges? Has there been a reduction in food consumption over the past several months as a result?
- Has the senior experienced a loss of weight over the last few months? Losing weight, particularly for those with a more sedentary lifestyle, can indicate that the person is not eating adequately.
- Does your loved one struggle with mobility? Being confined to the home can lead to nutritional challenges, as it’s more difficult to get groceries or fix meals.
- Has the senior been under psychological stress or suffered from an acute disease in the past several months?
- What is your senior loved one’s body mass index (BMI)? A BMI of 18.5 or lower may signify that the person is not eating enough, while a BMI of 30 or higher can indicate obesity.
If you discover through answering these questions that a senior loved one may be having problems with nutrition, it’s a good idea to check in with his or her primary care physician. Partners in Senior Care can also help improve health and wellbeing for seniors through services such as:
- Meal preparation
- Transportation to medical appointments
- Light housekeeping
- Running errands
- Medication reminders
- And more
Our expert Lake Forest home health caregivers are compassionate, fully trained, background screened and available for as much or as little care as needed. You can contact us online or call our care team at 847-548-1330 to learn more. See our full Illinois service area.