The holidays offer a unique opportunity for you to spend some quality time with your senior loved one. And, it’s also a really good time to ensure that your elderly loved one’s holiday is as safe as it is festive. Whether the senior is enjoying the season in her own home or yours, keeping these safety guidelines in mind will help make sure that everyone’s holiday is happy and bright.
In the home:
- Utilize simple decorations that will not add clutter. Always make sure there is plenty of room to walk.
- Keep extension cords away from walking paths to prevent tripping hazards.
- In place of candles, use bright centerpieces of fruit or flowers, or opt for battery-powered candles.
Although bright holiday lights are beautiful, keep these tips in mind when older adults are nearby:
- Ensure that all areas of the home are well lit. Dim holiday lights can hide fall hazards and make it hard to see around furnishings in the home.
- Add a nightlight in the bathroom and bedroom the older adult will be using and make sure light switches are easily accessible.
With the addition of holiday decorations, falling risks can become a concern for seniors during the holidays, so make sure to:
- Keep the floors clutter-free.
- Keep outside sidewalks clear.
- Arrange furniture so it’s easy to move around it.
- Place non-slip pads under rugs.
- Keep active pets from roughhousing while the older adult is moving about throughout the home.
- Set aside a special out-of-the-way place for children to play with their new toys while the older adult is visiting.
It’s important to pay attention to the care needs of older individuals during the holiday season in order to make their home, or visits to yours, safe and enjoyable. If you’d like more information on home modifications to help make holidays safer for seniors, or any other home care services, contact Partners in Senior Care, the top rated providers of senior care Wilmette IL families need, at 847-548-1330.